Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Whirlwind

When we are young, we all imagine love and relationships to be like in the fairy tales.

By the time we are in our mid teens most of us realise what rubbish it is!  (With the odd exception of those who marry and do spend the rest of their lives with highschool sweethearts - FAR more common in the US than the UK.)

Some of us make mistakes as we travel through life looking for the right person. Dear God, the mistakes I made were far from small but I learned alot on my journey. It wasn't all bad, along the way I had Matthew. Matthew gave me the strength to leave an abusive, occasionally violent marriage. If I stayed I'd have ruined his life. Matthew became my lifeline, my confidence, my excuse and reason to do the right thing by us both. Leaving my ex husband truly was the start of the best times of my life.

Once I started dating again, I still didn't get it right. Single mothers easily attract "the wrong type" of man. 

But then, one night all that changed.

Everything I had hoped for in my life seemed a long way off.

Lifes plan was to be married, have a nice house and 3 kids by the time I was 30. I had just turned 27, and I was still married. The divorce was taking an age but friends I hadn't seen for a long long time were organising a night out.  I wasn't going to miss out on this oppertunity of having a night out, Matthew was going to stay at my mums and I could have a real night out where I could be the me I was when I used to hang out with them before. No curfew because of my son, I knew I was in good hands, enjoy myself and sleep it off the next day.

I never expected what became of it.

Three years today, I found myself in conversation with a man I'd never met before. Amazing since he knew all my friends. The night flew past by and he was much the gentleman lending me his coat to freeze himself as we awaited taxis in the early hours of a cold Sunday November morning. Later that day after a long sleep and some sobering up we became Facebook friends and began chatting.

A week later we had our first date.

4 weeks after our first date, he moved in.

2 weeks later my divorce was finalised.

4 weeks after that I fell pregnant,

We celebrated our first anniversary with our 2 week old son James.

We celebrated our second anniversary with our engagement, a 1 year old James and 6 week old Liam.

Today we celebrate are third anniversary as newlyweds, a 2 year old James, 14month old Liam, a new house and a new puppy. Phew!

That's what I call a whirlwind romance!!!

We appear to have done more in 3 years than some people do in 10.

Matthew has always seen him as his dad and they get on wonderfully.

Three years ago today, a very improtant event occurred and changed my life forever.

I would like to thank my husband for coming into my life when he did and for making my life worthwhile again. For changing my world and for everything he's bought into it on our journey. To thank him for being an amazing dad to our boys and for making me such a lucky and happy woman proud to be his wife.

5 comments:

  1. Awww this post makes me happy. I love love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me so happy. I recall some of the shit that you had to endure to get to this point, and I am so incredibly HAPPY for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things finally worked out for you. :) Happy Anniversary of your first meeting!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so share your thoughts.