My horoscopes said that this September I will discover a new talent. I think they may actually be right this time.
Somehow I have become a real little Kitchen Goddess of late. Baking in particular.
Since I've had the new oven, every recipe is coming out perfect. I have more confidence in myself and I am getting daring and having only cooked a handful of cakes in my life, I am already adapting recipes. With both my youngest and my hubby's birthdays this weekend, what better a time than to play with my new "toy".
Yesterday I finally got some baking equipment. I got 12 hole bun pan (I don't know the official term hence the title Amateur Baker)
Today I am experimenting with a basic chocolate cupcake recipe.
100g self raising flour.
100g softened butter.
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 eggs.
This is the recipe. However, being the birthdays of two very special people I wanted to add a little luxury by adding:
1 tbsp of orange essence
3 squares of dark chocolate (grated)
A few drops of milk to get right consistancy
I am not going the whole hog and icing them today as it's an experiment to see just how well they come out, I may need to add more essence or more chocolate or cut out the chocolate squares. Today is a fun baking day.
Just out of the oven, they look good!!!! Look!
Consistency/texture seems right, we just need to check the taste!
James loves to help me bake. He passes me the ingredients and helps me use the hand whisk to mix the cakes so he really feels involved. He also gets that all important job of licking the spoon and bowl for his special efforts.
I love that we can do little tasks like this together, it's great getting kids involved in things and it's ideal when they get to eat what they have worked on.
I used to get Matthew to make pizzas with me when it was just the two of us, but it's alot more expensive to do when there are 5 of us rather than 2.
I am also aiming to cook one new meal we've never had before a week. I do enjoy cooking, it gives me a little escape to get into the kitchen for a little time and I love it when the family enjoy it too.
Anyway, off to test some cakes, they should be cool enough by now.
I love cooking too! Enjoy! Send some of those cupcakes my way. ;)
ReplyDeleteYum! Looks good Miss Baker! How is your leg holding up? Looks really sore from your last post - ouch!! :S
ReplyDelete