Monday, 17 October 2011

This Year Will Be An Artistic Christmas

I have started a weightloss blog.  If you are interested you should be able to access it via my "About Me" link on the right. So go and add me if you wish to follow my journey. That means no more diet/weight loss talk here so I hope I don't lose many followers here.

I've been thinking alot about christmas the past few days and this year we are going to do something different to make it a little more special.

We are going to have a real tree for the first time since we've had the two young ones. To make it super special we are going to make our own tree decorations!

Today James, Liam and myself dropped Matthew off at school and headed up to the local garden centre/shop that sells virtually everything for inspiration. Their christmas display isn't as good as in previous years and I did not get any extra ideas to those I already had.

We then went round the grounds of the beautiful Melford Hall.

We found so many pinecones we just had to collect some of the best quality ones.

The plan is to dry them out a little and then nearer the time we intend to dip them in clear drying glue and then dip them in silver or gold glitter. The lower bristles on the cone may need a little work with a paintbrush but I want the kids to get involved and have fun making creations for the tree. James and Matthew will love participating as for Liam, he may still be a tiny bit too young.

I would also like to make some clothes peg angels. Where you get an old fashioned clothes peg, draw on a face and make a dress of felt and some wings and a halo with some pipe cleaners. Like so....


Finally, I am going to bake some decorations. I am going to make some gingerbread festive shape cookies with a stain glass effect twist. All cleverly done by a shape cut out the middle and a fruit sweet melted in the centre. Like so.....

These should be nice and easy to do. I just have to find the right cookie cutters and if all else fails, then these heart ones would be lovely.

All of the ideas above will be hand tied with ribbon to be hung from the tree.

We will also look at making paper chains though we will have to work out if they are safe with the lights we are yet to buy.

So all in all, it will be a lovely homemade christmas where me and the kids will get involved and make it more kiddy themed. After all Christmas is about the little people.

As for Christmas presents, we have Matthews gift sorted but no-one elses yet. We are going to buy Matthew a tv for his bedroom. My mum and dad want to chip in too and my nan will buy him a dvd player. We are happy for him to have a tv as he is approaching 8 years old and he is VERY good when it comes to following rules with tv downstairs so we are willing to do this for him. As long as he understands no tv after 8pm means just that (unless it's a special football match on tv or something) then we should have no problems. He's growing up so fast and we would like to encourage that with a sense of responsibility. I think he will do well.

3 comments:

  1. This is so nice! I just love the idea of the home-made Christmas! I have a WONDERFUL recipe for cookie-type decorations to hang from the tree that leave your home smelling of cinnamon for weeks. They are really nice! They are pretty much just cinnamon and applesauce - you don't want to eat them, though they wouldn't hurt you - they just don't taste very good. They smell dreamy though! I'll dig out the recipe and pass along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely ideas! :) I was just talking to my friend about Christmas and then I read your post! It is going to be here before we know it! I better get on some shopping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade ornaments are my FAVORITES! There is a website (not sure which one, but probably wouldn't be hard to google it) devoted to homemade Christmas ornaments. I think they even do a 25 days of Christmas thing where they post a new one each day in December leading up to Christmas. I'll have to find it and see if they keep their archived instructions up.

    I can't wait to see photos of the ones you make! I love the pinecone idea, I may just have to steal that one. :)


    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so share your thoughts.